Main Street, Buildings of Portland and Aerial Views of Early Portland

Dublin Core

Title

Main Street, Buildings of Portland and Aerial Views of Early Portland

Subject

Portland, Tennessee

Creator

Allen Haynes Collection

Publisher

Portland Public Library of Sumner County

Collection Items

Portland in the early 1900s
The gentlemen are unidentified. The building on the left was the original post office, a store and a residence at different times. The building on the right at times belonged to O.O. Massey and Beeler Dye.

Portland Early 1900s
The depot is the building on the right with a railroad flatcar and steam roller parked at the loading ramp. The logs that the men are sitting on are black walnut logs.

Aerial view of Portland 1937
Main street is in the center of the picture, the railroad depot is on the right and the Baptist church would be on the top left side.

Aerial view of Portland 1937
Main Street is bottom left of picture, water tower is in the center on the left and Market Street is running horizontal in the center of picture. The street running vertical thru picture is what would become Highway 109.

Aerial view of Portland, April 1937
The roads shown are High Street and South Russell Street

Hiram Moore House
This is the Hiram Moore house after the second floor was added. This is now the front part of the 5 Chefs Restaurant and houses Occasions Too Boutique.

Wheeler Street 1937
Aerial view of Wheeler Street. The white loop was the second location of the Portland Planing Mill. The first location was across the street. (Information taken from the back of the photo.)

Jr. High and High School on Portland Blvd.
This is an aerial view of both the Jr. High and High Schools. The picture states a date of April 22, 1937. Note that there is no gym on either building.

Aerial of Portland Blvd. and Wheeler St.
This picture shows Portland Blvd. and Wheeler St. The empty field in the top right quadrant at the curve would become home to the Methodist Church.
View all 19 items

Social Bookmarking